Skip to main content

St John's offers a supportive environment to its students

College Nurse

The Health Centre has two Nurses who run clinics and drop in times. Health Centre Lead is Registered Nurse, Sister Emma Dellar (full time) and the Assistant College Nurse is Mary Lindsell (part time).

Both Emma and Mary are able to help with a wide variety of health and welfare problems.

Any information given to either the College Nurse or Assistant College Nurse will be treated in strict medical confidence and will not be divulged to anyone (outside the health centre) without your consent. 

Emma has a vast amount of experience having worked with young adults for many years, in another Cambridge College and private College. Prior to this Emma worked in emergency medicine and surgery in the NHS.

Mary joins St John's with recent experience in Occupational Health and Sexual Health, and many years of nursing knowledge.

Clinic Times

Drop in clinic: Monday-Friday 10am-12pm, sit and wait or book through MOODLE.  https// 

Afternoon clinic please book via MOODLE using your Raven password to log in, you will then see availability. 

Out of term: No drop in clinics, please access Moodle for availability or email and make an appointment.

Telephone Health Centre: 01223 338664

If you need medical advice when the Health Centre is closed contact the Porters' Lodges (tel. 01223 338600) or your own GP Surgery.

If you need help when your GP Surgery is closed please call NHS 111 which is the NHS 24 hour health advice/management line. After a triage assessment they will be able to schedule emergency GP/Dental Appointments or direct you to other services as deemed appropriate.

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis please call the First Response Service via NHS 111 and select option 2 - this service is available 24/7

For life threatening emergencies please call 999.

Please click on the health information section for a useful range of additional health information.


If you are contacting the Nurse via email please note that a reply to email will only be made during usual clinic hours and there may be a delay in responding to emails during the day because of clinical commitments. If you need immediate advice please call into drop in clinic or use the NHS 111 service.

Confidentiality and record keeping

The College Nurse and Assistant College Nurse, exercise there  duty of confidentiality to all students and respects the right to privacy. Information shared with the Health Centre staff is kept strictly confidential; as with all health care environments. Sharing information without consent would only occur in exceptional circumstances, on a 'need to know' basis. 

Student health records are stored and processed in accord with current health and personal data protection regulations. For further information please see:


Useful links and documents

Student Wellbeing pages, gives information and advice about the services in Colleges and Depts. Also featuring many common issues that students may face in their time at University:

Health Information

health information

Health Information

NHS Choices


Expert Self Care App


Meningitis Information

Every year in Cambridge there are cases of Meningitis, which is a life threatening infection. Please familiarise yourself with the signs and symptoms and seek medical help immediately if you have concerns about yourself or someone else.

Meningitis symptoms

General Practitioners

ALL students studying in the UK for more than 6 months should register at a Doctors/General Practioner Practice.

Please discuss with the College Nurse as soon as possible if you do not wish to register, or have any questions about the health service in the UK.

Once registered please inform student services of which practice you have chosen. 

The closest GP Surgery to College is:

  • Bridge Street Medical Centre No 2 All Saints Passage, Off Bridge Street, Cambridge CB2 3LS (tel: 01223 652671)
  • The College Nurse holds tuesday and wednesday clinics at this Surgery for St John's Students Only.

The following GP Surgeries are within a short distance of College:


Overnight and at weekends NHS 111 provide access to the out of hours' GP service and can be contacted on 111 or via your GP surgery's number. They are usually based at Chesterton Hospital, Union Lane. Please remember that this service is for conditions which cannot wait until your GP practice is open.

If you are feeling unwell it is a good idea to let the Porter’s Lodge know so that relevant help/people can be informed if necessary.

Local hospital


A&E or 999

In an extreme emergency the nearest Accident & Emergency Department is at Addenbrooke's Hospital. An extreme emergency is a condition such as a suspected broken bone, road accident, a severe wound that requires stitching, suspected heart attack or any other life threatening condition. Please use this service appropriately!

To contact the emergency services (fire, police or ambulance) telephone 999. You should only call 999 in an emergency, state where you are, what the problem is and please alert the Porters of the emergency, to help deliver care and to ensure that the emergency services are promptly directed when necessary.

NHS Information

For information on health concerns, self-help and support organisations, local health services including finding a local NHS dentist.

  • NHS 111 - a 24 hour NHS advisory
  • NHS 111 - option 2 for a mental health crisis 



If you have any allergies and require medication please alert the College Nurse of your diagnosis. A list of students with severe allergies (Anaphylaxis) is compiled by the College Nurse to ensure catering and First Aiders are aware of the potential risks of a life-threatening reaction. 

The College stocks Auto-adrenaline injectors (AAI's) for emergency use only in the event of a Anaphylactic reaction. These are located in the Porters Lodges, Health Centre, Boathouse, Playing fields and kitchen. College first aiders are trained to assist an individual in the use of these devices.


    The College has three Automated External Defibrillators for use in the event of a Cardiac arrest. These are located in the Forecourt Lodge, boathouse and playing fields.  



    Counselling and Mental Health


    Eating Disorders - for information and help


    Foreign Travel Information




    Physiotherapy and sports injuries
    • Physio Direct is a telephone self-referral service available to anyone registered with a Cambridge GP. If you have an acute or chronic joint or soft tissue problem ring 01223 446999 Monday-Friday 13.00-17.00. The physiotherapist will make a diagnosis and prescribe exercises over the phone (call usually takes 10-15 minutes). An appointment or follow up advice will be offered if necessary. Alternatively you can complete a self referral form available at your GP Surgery.
    • Cambridge Health & Performance Website -


        Sexual Health and Contraception

        For comprehensive information on sexual health and to book online sexual health appointments at:


        Websites for General Health Information and Advice
        Stay Safe on a Night Out

        This video contains useful advice about staying safe during a night out in Cambridge.

        Cambridge is a relatively safe place, but usual precautions should be taken, particularly when travelling after dark.

        •  - Avoid travelling alone. Stay in groups or pairs and have a mobile phone with charge and credit with you.
        •  - Do not consume alcohol beyond your usual safe limits and if you are not used to drinking pace yourself and trust your instincts.
        •  - Plan your route before you leave.
        •  - Be aware of places you can drop in to if you feel unsafe-such as Porters Lodges, and public places. Please see map-a Bowler Hat indicates where a Lodge is, though bear in mind they may not all be open 24 hours a day.
        •  - If you feel your drink may have been spiked, tell someone (ambulance, security or bar staff) and get help quickly-do not attempt to leave on your own.
        •  - Report any unusual or suspicious behaviour to College and/or the Police telephone 999 for an emergency, or 101 for non-emergency, Or anonymously  through Crimestoppers  via telephone 0800 555 111
        •  - If you believe an incident or crime has occurred, but are not sure you want to report it to the police, talk to a non-judgemental professional as soon as possible-College Nurse, GP, Chaplain, Tutor or outside agency such as:

        - Samaritans
        - Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC)
        - Cambridge Rape Crisis Centre

        College Counsellor

        The College Counsellor provides a free and confidential counselling service to all students at St John’s College.

        Susie Renshaw is a Registered and Accredited Member of the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and works in accordance with the BACP's Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy.

        Counselling can be helpful for all kinds of difficulties and is available to help you with any personal or psychological issues which are having an impact on your ability to study or to make the most of student life. 

        The College Counsellor is an additional service to the University Counselling Service. All students can self-refer directly to UCS which provides a wide range of services such as individual counselling, group therapy and a variety of topic-specific workshops.

        Susie is here to see students who need to see a counsellor more urgently or who have ongoing issues they need support with.  


        The College Counsellor is generally available on Mondays and Wednesdays, during term-time only.

        Appointments must be booked in advance. There are no ‘drop in’ appointments available.

        How to make an appointment

        If you would like to arrange to see Susie, the College Counsellor, you can self-refer (see below), speak to your Tutor, or speak to the College Nurses.

        To self-refer and arrange an appointment with Susie, please complete a Registration Form, save it and email it to Susie (

        You don’t need to give long answers; you can also put “I would prefer to talk about this in person”. The information you provide will help us to arrange an appointment. Please note that we can’t guarantee that information sent by email will be secure. If you prefer, please just send an email to Susie asking to arrange an appointment and say you’d rather not send a form by email.

        Registration Form

        Other sources of support

        If you need to speak to someone about a personal or psychological issue more urgently please either speak to your Tutor, the College Nurse or your GP, or try one of the organisations below.

        • University Counselling Service

        The University Counselling Service is available to all University of Cambridge students.

        • The Psychological Wellbeing Service

        The Psychological Wellbeing Service (also known as 'IAPT') can offer support to those aged 17 or over via a range of brief supported self-help and talking therapy options. You can self-refer to the service of be referred by your GP.

        • First Response Service

        This is an NHS service which offers urgent support for people in mental health or emotional crisis. It provides 24-hour access, seven days a week to mental health care, support and advice. Call 111, select option 2 and speak to a mental health professional. 

        • The Elms

        The Elms Sexual Assault Referral Centre offers free support and practical help to anyone in Cambridgeshire who has experienced sexual abuse or sexual violence either recently or in the past.

        Clients can refer themselves without having to involve the Police, it is not necessary for a report to have been made in order to access their services. Their service is completely confidential and you do not have to give any personal information in order to get help.

        Tel: 0800 193 5434 (9am – 5pm)
        Out of Hours Help Line: 0800 193 5434

        • The Samaritans

        The Samaritans is available to anyone going through a difficult time or feeling distressed and needs someone to talk to.
        Free 24-hour helpline: 116 123
        You can also visit the local Cambridge branch. More info at:

        • Nightline

        Nightline is the night-time listening support and information service for Cambridge and Anglia Ruskin Universities, run by students for students. Support available by telephone or Skype from 7pm to 7am any night of the CU full term. Their Instant Messaging service is available from 7pm to midnight. 
        Tel: 01223 744444

        The Acting Dean and Chaplain

        The Acting Dean and Chaplain of the College is The Rev'd Carol Barrett Ford.

        The duties of the Chaplain include the pastoral care of the 850 junior members of the College (undergraduates and research students) and staff.

        Brief Biography

        Carol Barrett Ford moved to London in 1991 having trained in Ireland as a teacher. She worked for twenty years in education as a subject specialist, head of department and deputy head, completing an MA in Policy Studies in Education in 2007. In 2011 she began training for ordination at Cranmer Hall, Durham and served her curacy in inner city Newcastle upon Tyne. Carol enjoys reading, live music, art, theatre, film and cooking for friends. To balance these sedentary pursuits she goes to the gym and hikes in the countryside with her husband, Alun, and their wire fox terrier, Tonwen.

        Spiritual Care

        As a priest of the Church of England, Carol is available to discuss religious matters, whether personal or theoretical and to give help and advice in matters spiritual. She also has a role in preparing members of the College for Baptism or Confirmation and is happy to talk through this process with enquirers.

        Pastoral Care (Student Welfare)

        The Chaplain supports the College welfare structures by offering college members a confidential person who will listen to their concerns, help them examine situations, offer advice or give practical help. Carol has no expectation that those who see her will have religious or Christian commitments, all are very welcome and Carol can be approached on any matter, however personal.

        Contact Details

        Tel: 01223 338617
        Internal tel: 38617
        Mobile: 07917 535940
        Address: C4 Second Court

        Student Unions

        JCR (Student Union)

        All junior members of College, including the Graduates, are members of the Junior Combination Room or JCR.

        'JCR' also refers to the common room in 2nd Court, and is also a colloquial name for the JCRC, the committee that represents the JCR. The committe is elected in February and any undergraduates can stand for any position.

        The JCR Committee are an elected body of students who represent undergraduates in College to the College authorities. They work to improve College for the students, and are always eager for students’ suggestions as to how this can be achieved. They also help play a role in looking after students with a Welfare and Equal Opportunities Officer, and they organise the Ents and Freshers week – a fun-packed week full of ice-breaking activities that help settle Freshers into College life!

        The JCR has its own website at

        SBR (Graduate Union)

        The Samuel Butler Room is the name of the graduate union at St John's, as well as the name of the common room it looks after. The society is run by the graduate community of the College to promote social, intellectual and sporting activities for its members.


        The rooms, close to the main entrance to the College, are for the exclusive use of all graduates and their guests. The rooms are used for social gatherings and as a common room for members. The SBR website can be found at

        Useful documents

        These are documents that students may require for reference purposes. Click on each item to download the document.