About the Archives
St John's College Archives contain records of the growth of the administration, benefactions, finances and property of the College since its foundation in 1511. They also include some deeds and financial records of earlier foundations annexed to it, namely the Hospital of St John the Evangelist Cambridge, the Hospital of St Mary at Ospringe, and the Priory of Higham, Kent, and of the Priory of Broomhall, Berks; and household accounts of the Foundress, Lady Margaret Beaufort, 1498-1509. Among the records of the Cambridge Hospital of St John is a thirteenth-century cartulary whose numerous deeds shed light on the people, property and occupations of Cambridge and the surrounding countryside.
These resources are available for use by the members, staff and students of St John’s, the wider academic community and the public. The Archives acquire, preserve and make accessible the records of the College, its members, staff and students.
The institutional records of St John’s College are among some of the richest in Cambridge. The main categories include:
- Institutional archives of St John’s since 1511 including statutes, registers of membership, orders and minutes of its organs of government, accounts, records of its buildings, benefactions and the administration of property. These records are added to regularly.
- Records and household accounts of Lady Margaret Beaufort the College’s foundress, and mother of King Henry VII.
- Rich medieval archive of deeds account rolls inherited from the Hospital of St John the Evangelist which preceded the College on the same site.
Many of these records have a fascination far removed from the dryness of their titles.
Off the Shelf
Off the shelf is a fascinating blog created during the process of cataloguing the collections at St John's. Take a look at the full collection of articles here.
The School of Pythagoras now houses the College’s entire archival collection of papers, books and maps. Although listed and catalogued to a basic level much of this material remains inaccessible to the researcher.
The production of a full and accessible catalogue of the collection is a priority for Archive staff. The relocation of the Centre to the School of Pythagoras in July 2014 provided us with an excellent opportunity to focus on unprocessed and undiscovered items within the collection.
Archival cataloguing is hugely important because it greatly facilitates access for researchers, by identifying and explaining the context and content of the material. The product of this work is an online catalogue, which is full text searchable. Additionally, cataloguing work also helps to ensure that the archive material lasts for future generations by highlighting the need for vital preservation work.
The Story of Pythagoras
Built sometime between 1180 and 1200 C.E., the School of Pythagoras is the oldest extant secular building in Cambridge. Today it is home to the St. John’s College Archives Centre, yet as the following articles reveal, this one-time medieval town-house bears both physical and textual traces of a rich and varied past.
A series of exhibitions take place in the College Archive Centre every term, but for those who cannot attend they are also available online as virtual exhibitions. Follow the links below to take a look at some of our recent and past displays.
St John's Top 5
From College balls, to bills and bridges, St John's Top 5 spotlights the very best from the Archive's collections.
Follow the links below to find out more about some interesting episodes in our past, seen through our Archival resources.
From Nobel prizewinners and parliamentarians to porters and postmen Interesting Johnians looks at those who have studied and worked at St John's.
To mark the anniversary of the First World War special entries will appear featuring Johnians who left College to fight in the war. These entries will be marked by a red poppy.
Teaching & Learning
Inductions run by the Archivist, Tracy Deakin
Tracy provides inductions for undergraduate and postgraduate students, introducing them to the wealth of material available in the College archives.
We welcome small group visits by students, members and staff from College (and University) departments, including general familiarisation visits for newly-inducted students and timetabled teaching sessions involving hands-on use of archive documents and rare books designed for specific course modules.
The Archives fully support the College teaching programme across the different Departments and Schools. Recent inductions have included students from Politics, Psychology & Sociology and History. The collections of historical material held in the Archives provide an invaluable teaching resource and College Tutors who think their students might benefit are encouraged to contact the Archivist.
Visiting & contact
All those wishing to consult material from the Archive should arrange an appointment in advance by contacting the Archivist (firstname.lastname@example.org) indicating the material they wish to consult.
Members of the public as well as College members, students and staff are welcome to consult the collection.
The Archive is open by appointment Wednesday and Thursday 9.30 am to 4.00 pm. The Archive is closed on public holidays and the days between Christmas and New Year. Occasionally we are closed for visits and seminars. Please check with the Archivist for further information.
For general enquiries about services or for enquiries regarding collections please contact the Archivist. (01223 338631)
If you are looking for information on former students and Fellows of St John’s please contact the Biographical Librarian (01223 338772)