Cambridge Display Technology
CDT Ltd. is a Sumitomo Chemical Group Company and, as one of Sumitomo Chemical’s corporate research laboratories, is responsible for research and innovation in the UK and Europe.
CDT’s technologies have been developed in the field of Printed Electronics including technology of polymer light emitting diodes (P-OLEDs), printed sensors and printed energy harvesting and storage devices. CDT is also supporting Sumitomo’s future goals by developing the next generation of innovative new technologies to enhance existing business or create new opportunities for Sumitomo. This includes fundamental research in areas such as biosensors, active release technologies and the identification and incubation of new market-needs driven technologies to support the next generation of products for Sumitomo Chemical’s business sectors (Health & Crop Sciences, Pharmaceuticals, Petrochemicals and Plastics, IT-related Chemicals and Energy & Functional Materials).
CDT’s 100-strong interdisciplinary team has world-class expertise in physics, chemistry, engineering, microelectronics, materials and life sciences. CDT has state of the art research and technology development facilities in Godmanchester, near Cambridge. CDT’s facilities include synthetic chemistry laboratories, formulation and printing laboratories, chemical and physical materials analysis, electrical and optical device fabrication and measurement, fast laser spectroscopy, and clean room facilities.
The company is based in Godmanchester.
- Working with CDT’s Flexible Organic LED team, the successful intern will learn to fabricate and test Flexible Displays using CDT’s state of the art clean-room facilities and work with the team to test and evaluate the displays.
- In addition to this experimental part of the work, the Intern will work with the Business Development team to identify and advance relationships with potential customers to create new end-user pull for this innovative technology.
- There may also be an opportunity to attend a trade fair with the team (Europe or US) to market the technology and build the business network.
Competencies and Profile
- Experience in an Engineering or Physical Science discipline with familiarity in using experimental scientific methods, data collection and analysis
- An interest in learning about technical details of novel technologies
- Comfort in presenting to an audience and summarising finding and personal recommendations
- Self-motivated with attention to detail
- Ability to identify and evangelise key differentiating features of new products, identifying benefits of value to end-users
- Strong interpersonal skills, being able to listen to and explore customers’ needs through face-to-face discussion
- Opportunity Scouting: Working with the CDT’s Innovation team to research addressable market needs and size, competitive technologies and Intellectual Property landscape for new product or new technology offerings.
- Examples of current themes include: Wearable electronics and smart textiles, Non-graphene 2D materials, In-situ root imaging and phenotyping and Smart wound dressing.
- Specific themes of investigation will be identified from the broad themes: Life Sciences; Information and Communications technology; Environment and Energy which are key themes for CDT’s parent Company, Sumitomo Chemical Co., Japan.
Competencies and Profile
- Genuine interest in applied science or engineering and products developed with novel technologies at their core
- Demonstrable ability to rapidly research and condense secondary research information into clear proposals with sound technical and commercial rationales presented
- Experience of informing and influencing decisions through solid preparation and well-constructed arguments
- Self-confidence and experience of primary research and cold-calling
- Desirable to have experience of identifying and analysing unmet customer needs, value-chains and creating visions of commercial business models and partnering strategies.